Perşembe, Ekim 05, 2006

One of My Remaining Prejudices

In my teens I had many prejudices, in my twenties I humbly learned to let go most of them. And now in my thirties, I can honestly say I am left with a very few of them.

The one that I am finding very hard to relinquish, the one with passing time I feel more dedicated to, is my prejudice against believers. I can not take believers seriously . I mean in any context I can not, be it literature, music or friendly conversation with a friend. If I learn that a person believes in a higher being and that higher being’s dominion is somewhere else, and that we are expected at that dominion sometime; my position, my regard to that person’s outputs alter immediately.

For me believing in a form of higher being- that is not explicable with any reasoning mind- makes one’s mind open a crack to let in other favorable receptions other than the explainable. Believing with the help of religions facilitates lots of things, dictation of good or bad, fear of oblivion, dealing with dead loved ones, feelings of injustice.. The list can go on and on for every obstacle a person faces in life she can get around it by taking the ubiquitous warm hands of religion. Believing is indeed a savior for the person who in due or undue time will meet personal catastrophes. But I cannot trust a person who is so willingly gullible. One tries to lessen the effects of the blow, one tries to fool his self with make believe creatures and magic places. Then why not create other stories for the unexplainable (which in fact is explainable by evolution theory), but stick with one story for centuries to come? Maybe it is hoped that as time passes the belief solidifies itself like a rock form. I think not! I think a person must question everything’s validity. A story’s being past on from generation to generation does not make it legitimate.

And when someone chooses not to question and adapt to what he is handed over with, I question the one’s motives and more importantly his regard to life. Not taking the responsibility of his decisions and actions, being just and true without thinking about them is just as not acceptable with me being not good. Actually “being not good” consciously demands respectability because it is probably a well thought action than being good, just to be good.

When one chooses to believe in magic places not to deal with pain, how can one ever be expected to make choices based on his own reasonings or even feelings. They will always be open to alteration

This is my prejudice and will remain to be so until further notice!

3 yorum:

Adsız dedi ki...

I think a person must question everything’s validity
= everyhing means everything and it also inculdes the believe that "there is none of a higher being than the human itself".
By the way, life is too short and there may be no other life than the ones that we live, so why should I waste my precious time by questioning everything

Adsız dedi ki...

Annem, babam, öğretmenim, amirim, bakanım, başbakanım, Mr President bana sürüyle zayıflık aşıladı. Üstüne bir de bu zayıflıkları aşamama zayıflığı da kondurdu. Ben bir zaafiyet torbasıyım! Bugün, 40 yıl sonra, tüm hayatım bu zayıflıkları aşma mücadelesinden ibaretmiş gibi geliyor... Acaba diyorum, keşke sığınsaydım bir çatı altına, mücadele etmeseydim içimdeki yel değirmenleriyle, daha mı huzurlu olurdu ruhum?

Adsız dedi ki...

I think you sound resentful/intolerant towards people who believe. Prejudice by definition means forming an opinion without knowing the facts. And since belief in something, be it in a higher being or the UFOs, involves believing without the presence of substantiating facts, then by your own logic you might be doomed to be prejudiced. If however "one should question the validity of everything " as you say, then you must also question your own assertion that "there is no higher being". Then you might even let go of your prejudice.